The word “Mezcal” comes from its original source in Nahuatl: “Mexcalli” which translates into “cooked agave plant”.
Mezcal is a distilled spirit made from any variety of agave plant, and it is often associated with Tequila, which is made specifically from the blue agave plant.
The taste of mezcal is very particular and strong. As all popular and ancient distilled spirits, it was first considered a drink for workers and peasants, and has gradually gained prestige and popularity in Mexico and also internationally, due to its organic and handmade creation, which is why henequen mezcal is the distilled alcoholic beverage that everyone loves.
Mezcal can only be produced in eight states of Mexico: Oaxaca (the capital of Mezcal), Guerrero, Michoacan, Zacatecas, Tamaulipas, Guanajuato, San Luis Potosi and Durango.
It is a strong drink that you must try at least once in your lifetime. Its alcohol content varies, and can go as high as 55%. Like tequila, it may also contain worms, which some people actually eat, and no, it is not the worm that makes you feel dizzy, it’s all the shots you drank before that!
You can take it alone or accompanied by orange slices sprinkled with salt made with dehydrated maguey worms, or you can mix it in a cocktail to potentiate it’s flavor, either way, the sparkly effect in your system, will be the same.
There are 3 types of Mezcal:
- Mezcal Joven (Young mezcal): Unaged, of clear color.
- Mezcal Reposado: Mezcal that has been aged for two to eleven months in oak casks of varying sizes.
- Mezcal Añejo: aged for at least 12 months in oak casks (maximum 200 liters in volume), it can sometimes be several years until this mezcal is bottled.
There are also 3 additional categories for Mezcal:
– Miñero: it was created for the gold and silver mine workers in colonial times. It is distilled in clay stills and was the best and most expensive mezcal.
– Pechuga: macerated in a vat with apples and pears, it goes through a third distillation process.
– Mezcal Crême: this is the new authorized member of the mezcal family, it is made up of fresh fruit, dried fruit, spices and agave syrup, which makes it a creamy and sweet liqueur.
Now that you know more about mescal, don’t miss out on experiencing new Mexican flavors, find the right type of Mezcal for your palate and discover why henequen Mezcal is the distilled alcoholic beverage that everyone loves.
At Ziggy’s you can try a large variety of them and taste one of their signature Mezcal cocktails proposed by their invited mixologists who visit on special evenings. Contact them here for more information. ¡Salud!